Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Hidden Treasures

Counselor shot!
One of the best things that I've ever done in my 26 years of life was participating in Camp Adventure Child and Youth Services. The ability to not only travel the world, but also work with some amazing children has definitely effected the way that I live my life today. Any chance that I get to return to that camp setting is always welcomed. This past weekend, I had that very opportunity.

Camp Treasure is an experience that is supported by the American Association for Caregiving Youth (AACY), a non-profit organization that caters towards youth that serve as the main caregiver for an ailing relative (parent, grandparent, cousin, niece, etc.). Camp Treasure gives these kids, normally between the ages of 12 and 14, an opportunity to be kids for a weekend and not worry about the responsibilities that they have at home. I participated in this weekend camp back in November as well and was really looking forward to getting to the camp setting.

Learning the cup game
During the course of the two days, we played lots of carpetball (this awesome game that involves a long wooden box lined with carpet and pool balls), completed some team building exercises, did some yoga, went swimming, made treasure boxes, and just enjoyed each other's company. The dynamic of the group from the onset was a bit different from the first group of campers that came through in November, but by the end of the camp, everyone was getting along great and the beginnings of new friendships were being formed.

I could not imagine taking care of a parent or grandparent when I was 13 full time. These kids are amazing and I definitely admire the jobs that they do and the lives that they lead. It's never easy to see a loved one suffer - it's even harder to have that responsibility of caring for them at such a young age. Through this amazing organization and opportunities like Camp Treasure, these kids can finally be kids!


Oh Hala...
Max playing some carpetball


Group Shot!
Cabin Shot!

1 comment:

  1. Looked like you had a great group. You write so well I feel like I was there.
    Good to hear from you.
    Aunt Marcia

    ReplyDelete