Elizabeth and I met during the summer of 2009 when we did Camp Adventure together in Italy. It also turned out that we both attended UNI, so a natural friendship was formed. We spent the entire summer working together, traversing the terrains of Italy, Switzerland, and Austria, and forming a bond that still exists today! However, since my graduation from UNI and subsequent travels to Korea, I hadn't seen her in about 2 years. So this trip south was definitely welcomed!
Currently, Elizabeth is attending the University of South Carolina in Columbia, South Carolina, working towards her Master's in Geology or something rock/nature related. So about a month and a half ago, she got a hold of me seeing if her and her roommate could come down to South Florida for a few days to get away from life "up north." I naturally said "YES!!!" and the planning began. The old travel notebook from Italy was dusted off, itineraries were created, changed, and finalized, and the date was set!
Elizabeth and Victoria rolled in Boynton around 1 AM on the 14th of March and their presence graced my apartment until the 17th of March. The following days consisted of the following activities:
- 50% of full body messages at the new spa that recently opened up in the shopping complex below my apartment while I attended various meetings/work
- Plenty of beach time with and without proper equipment, including a pail, shovel, and ample amounts of sunscreen
- Attending a Ladie's Night Special at the Carolina Ale House, in which ladies drinks are $2.00 for the first one and free for the rest of the night! Quite the deal for the non-male gendered folks out there!
- A visit to Bru's Room down in Delray Beach for some drinks and discussion with Cathy
- Interacting with turtles at Loggerhead Marina while I had a meeting for the upcoming TurtleFest that AmeriCorps is helping out with in April
- St. Paddy's Day celebrations at Bar Louie in Boynton, complete with great friends, green beer, breakfast buffet, and our very own leprechaun
- Quality monkey time at Monkey Jungle down in Miami - this monkey sanctuary gives humans the ability to feed monkeys while being caged with monkeys running overhead and fighting over the scarce morsels of raisins, cranberries, and other dried fruit that are provided to them
- Participation in an Everything Green party hosted by JaRon and Amy in their apartment, complete with the creation of Wizard Staffs and late night memories
In the end, it was great to see Elizabeth again, meet Victoria, and create more memories that will continue to strengthen our friendship. Plans are already in the works to meet up again in either Jacksonville, FL or Savannah, GA in June with Phetsada (aka Botswana since Elizabeth couldn't remember how to pronounce her name) and another possible visit to South Carolina in July as a stop on a road trip to PA with Cathy. Cant wait for these upcoming trips!!
|Flashback to Capri!|
|Bru's Room bonding!|
|Green beer at Bar Louie|
|Irish Car Bombs|
|Feeding the monkeys|
|Sporting our Wizard Staffs|