Monday, August 15, 2011

The Home Stretch

The day has finally arrived...
My last full day in the United States...
Today Iowa...Tomorrow Korea

After 4 1/2 long, agonizing months of unrest, it is time to take the next step and begin this next great adventure. Many people have asked me why I am taking this job halfway around the world in a country where I do not read or write the language. I simply tell them "Why not?" Plus there are some nice perks, including...

- 40 hour work week, but only 20 hours spent with students (other 20 spent planning lessons and other "teacher work")
- Government provided apartment that is fully furnished
- Rent free apartment
- Not having to pay income tax
- No car = no gas, maintenance, insurance, registration payments
- Experiencing a culture that is night and day different from the one here in Iowa
- A chance to meet teachers from all over the world (like Canada, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, and the United Kingdom)
- The opportunity to travel around Asia and visit countries that very few every visit
- Most importantly, a chance to grow and mature in an environment that is unfamiliar

I look at this as the next step in my life. I'm moving out of my parent's house (after a year) and moving into my very first apartment. Yes, that's right. I have never lived in an apartment prior to this job. I'm excited to have my own space and in charge of providing for myself. The growing up process may be one that many fight (and I'll admit, I've been on that train a couple of times), but if I've learned anything over these past 24 years of life, it's that I can do anything I set my mind to.

Add "moving to a foreign country" to that list.

No comments:

Post a Comment