Wednesday, May 16, 2012
Jeju Island - Korea's "Hawaii"
The middle part of my parents trip was spent on the island is Jeju, located just south of the Korean peninsula. Touted as the "Hawaii of Korea," we had a great time soaking up the sun and enjoying the sights that the island had to offer. Here's a quick day-by-day recap!
Wednesday (May 2)
- Headed to Gimpo Airport here in Seoul to fly down to Jeju
- Arrived in Jeju and boarded a bus to Seogwipo, a town on the south side of the island
- Checked-in to our hotel and got some shut eye.
Thursday (May 3)
-Woke up around 11 am (Glorious!)
- Headed to Cheonjiyeon Waterfall, which was just down the road from our hotel!
- Ate lunch near the waterfall and had an assortment of fish, pork, and Korean sidedishes
- Took a boat tour around the southern portion of the island
- Headed to the Teddy Bear Museum, which was a part of the Jungmun Resort, the largest resort in all of Korea
- Went to the Cheonjeyeon Waterfall and had the whole park area to ourselves! Pretty neat
- Took in the "Volcano and Fantastic Show" at Hotel Lotte on the Resort
Friday (May 4)
- Once again slept in until about 11 am
- Ate lunch and wandered around town trying to find the Bus Terminal (ended up being a parking lot with about 3 buses parked in it with a small little hut to purchase tickets)
- Caught a bus to the Manjanggul Lava Tubes
- Dropped off on the side of the road and walked about 4 KM to the caves from the main road
- Explored the caves for about an hour
- Taxied back to the airport, caught the bus back to Seogwipo, and called it a night
Saturday (May 5)
- Woke up at a half-way decent time of about 9:30 am
- Headed back to the bus terminal to catch a bus to the Sangumburi Crater
- Waited and waited and waited for a bus that would take us
- Had to switch buses at Pyoseon and decided to a bit of exploring
- Headed down to the beach so Mom could put her feet in the water
- After being denied by three different buses, finally decided to just taxi to the Crater
- Taxied back to the Resort to check out the beach there and have a Kraze Burger
- Back to the hotel for a good night's sleep
Sunday (May 6)
- Woke up bright and early (around 5:30 am) to catch the bus back to the airport
- Flew back to Seoul and did some more sightseeing around the city
To see what else my parents and I did during their time here in Seoul, please click here.
For more pictures from our time in Jeju, click here!